Economics of Ergonomics
Manpower Shortages are Costly
Did you know?
- 90% of sonographers experience work-related pain
- Of those in pain, 20% suffer career-ending injuries
- Experts anticipate there will be a critical shortage of health care professionals by the year 2010
- The absence of a full-time sonographer amounts to an estimated $21,000 loss of billable revenue in just one work week
Injured sonographers can cost employers millions of dollars each year in various areas:
Loss of revenue
- $702,000 per year of $13,500 per week, which is 60% of the billable revenue
- $1,100,000 is the billable amount of revenue generated by one sonographer in one year, according to John Hawkins of Allied Consulting and based on customer surveys
- $32,000 per year or $2,700 per month
- $160,400 per year or $13,867 per month, which includes airfare, per diem expenses, and housing
- $131,040 per year or $10,920 per month using a local temp. agency
- $20,000 per year or $1,700 per month for the average shoulder injury, exclusive of surgical treatment
See Cost of Injury for more information.
As policy makers, you have the opportunity to reduce the risk of injury to your staff by implementing guidelines for safe work practices. Information is available through site evaluations and ergonomic training that can reduce your sonographer's risk for occupational injury.
What Can You Do?
The following factors, alone or in combination can result in occupational musculoskeletal injury:
- Repetitive movement
- Excessive strain or force
- Poor postural alignment
- Static or prolonged holding of strained positioning
Sound Ergonomics, LLC provides ergonomic site evaluations of clinical ultrasound facilities, as well as in-service education and local educational seminars and hands-on ergonomic training for sonographers, vascular technologists, and cardiac sonographers.
- Educational seminars, hands-on training.
Clinical site evaluations
- Schedule/workload review
- Individual postural alignment assessment of sonographers
- Ergonomic evaluation of ancillary equipment
- Environmental solutions recommendations
See our services section.